« Home | Skipped the Middle » | Recipe for Conflict » | A Little Two Steppin' » | Oh, The Joys of Rewriting » | Nag, Nag, Nag! » | What's a Premise? » | Starting Over » | The First Post is Shit, too. »

Friday, May 19, 2006

Round Peg, Maybe?

I've been having a hard time getting the middle of this screenplay figured out. I feel like I'm pounding square pegs into round holes. I just can't get things to work out.

But I may be onto something now.

So far I've always worked with a 4 Act structure. Basically a Sid Field 3-Act structure with the screenplay divided into 4 30-minute sections with a plot point at the end of the first three and a resolution at the end of the fourth.

Act 1 - plot point at 30 minutes
First half of Act 2 - midpoint at 60 minutes
Second half of Act 2 - plot point at 90 minutes
Act 3 - resolution at 120 minutes

1 2 3 4, looks like four acts to me. I've never understood why Mr. Field doesn't just call a spade a spade, but that's beside the point, his basic theory works, sometimes.

Like I said, this screenplay isn't cooperating and I'm starting to think it may be because I'm trying to cram it into the wrong structure.

I remember the 5 act Dramatic structure from a college Lit class; Exposition, Rising Action, Climax, Falling Action and Denouement; but I have never found it useful in writing screenplays. While looking through the Wordplay archives I ran across two unrelated posts that helped me to see that 5-act structure differently. One post refered to the 5 Acts as Thesis, Antithesis, Crisis, Climax and Denouement, which for some reason clicks with me better than rising and falling actions. Another post also used 5 acts and shortened each act; 30 mins, 25 mins, 20 mins, 15 mins, 10 mins; to increase the pacing.

So we have:

Act 1 - Thesis - 30 mins
Act 2 - Antithesis - 25 mins (55 total)
Act 3 - Crisis - 20 mins (75 total)
Act 4 - Climax - 15 mins (90 total)
Act 5 - Denouement - 10 mins (100 total)

Tweek the minutes to 30, 30, 25, 20, and 15, or something similar, to get a 120 minute screenplay.

Wow! I like this! I get this! And it may be just what I need to work out the problems I'm having with that annoying middle. Have I just discovered a round peg? I don't know. I'm off to try it out.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

everywhere I am reading lately is saying no scripts over 110 pgs... talk about editing pressure

23/5/06 10:57 AM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Everywhere I go they are talking about Creative Screenwriting or Script magazines. : )

If it makes you feel better, the guy that wrote about shortening each act and ending up with 100 minutes, did say that he was taking about comedies. I'm guessing he would suggest closer to 120 minutes for dramas or action/adventure. Does that help ease your editing pressure?

25/5/06 11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home