« Home | Nag, Nag, Nag! » | What's a Premise? » | Starting Over » | The First Post is Shit, too. »

Monday, May 08, 2006

Oh, The Joys of Rewriting

I spent the whole weekend tying to figure out what was wrong with the script. It's becoming my little problem child. I love it, but whew, some days!

Finally, it occured to me that I was revealing too much too soon. Little pieces of dialogue needed to be moved from one scene to the following scene involving those people. No problem. A little tweak here, another tweak there. Then I discovered that my climax was happening too soon also. How did that happen? And how did I not see that before? So two scenes needed to be completely rewriten. One scene needed the climax eliminated and the ending needed the climax added. Unbelievable!

It wasn't too hard to take out the climax of the first scene, but I really struggled with the new ending. I wracked my brain yesterday trying to come up with the right words, the right actions, the right emotions. I finally gave up and went to bed. I don't remember my muse whispering in my ear while I was sleeping, but he/she/it must have because I woke up this morning and wrote the new ending. Just like that. I had it finished by 8 am. God, I love it when that happens. Those little moments are what keep me in this game.

I'm off to celebrate my small victory by cleaning my house. It was neglected over the weekend and now it's nagging me. Tomorrow, it's back to script #2. Hopefully, all this nagging will stop and things will be a little quieter this time.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think up my best material sitting on the toilet... no, I didn't mean to be funny, it's the truth

9/5/06 2:23 PM  
Blogger Jeri said...

Sorry, but that IS funny. A little time alone on the throne and EUREKA!

9/5/06 5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home